Thursday, 21 July 2016

Is Ola Back?! Waiting 4 - Philip Mikal feat. Ola.

Are you wondering if you've read that title right? I too, am wondering if this is a phoenix moment, and we're once again going to see another side to Ola. Little Ola.

Okay, some history if you've just stumbled upon this blog post because of this new song.
First of all, hi I'm Jordan. If you do enough digging around Ola, you'll have come across me or my name, I'm sure. I did used to run his UK street team, and have been a fan since around 2007, I think. I'm fairly certain if you ask me anything about Ola, I'd be able to give you an answer. So if you like him, give me a shout! He will forever defend a very special corner of my heart, and I'd still do anything to finally meet him. He consumed my entire life for like, 5 or so years, so he's shaped me to who I am today, and still, not a day goes by without me thinking of him; one of his songs, videos, performances… you know, I even learned Swedish to understand his interviews, and as a result, I fell in love with the culture and people of Sweden!


Ola (pronounced Oooola), from Skåne in Sweden, first appeared on Sweden's version of Pop Idol in 2005. He came 8th in the competition, but managed to secure a record deal upon exit, and has been with various record companies since. After creating his own label, Oliniho Records, he's now with Warner Music Sweden.
He's had 4 albums, Given to Fly, Good Enough, Ola and Carelessly Yours.
Ola is a household name in Sweden, and he's still relatively popular (among an ageing group of fans). Many people only know him from Idol.
He's taken part in Sweden's race for Eurovision twice, and has recently had a lot of success outside of Sweden. Italy and Russia have taken particularly well to him, and song I'm in love has had almost 23 million hits on YouTube.

Aaaand, now after a verrryyyy brief history, we're pretty much up to date. Ola is very quiet with his work these days, and rarely appears on TV anymore. There's plenty of archive footage on Youtube, and also some clips on Swedish national broadcasters SVT and TV4 (ask if you'd like me to find them for you).

If you've skipped the history, start here:
That is, until now. Ola has been very quiet about this new track. Whether or not this is contractual, I'm not sure, but the producer of the song, Philip Mikal has tweeted and promoted the song himself. Philip is a Swedish music producer, however he was seemingly also the CEO of tech firm Trustbuddy - a company now declared bankrupt. Very little when executing a search yields anything music related, and it would seem music production is either a bit of moonlighting, or a complete change in career! The album artwork looks like this:



And as you can see, the song is called Waiting 4. It is available on Spotify, and iTunes in the UK, which is usually a good sign that the song is available worldwide. Listen to it below:



It's lead by a punchy guitar riff, and Ola is the main vocalist all the way through the song. He has a very distinctive voice, and so even if you played me this song without knowing it was him, I'd instantly recognise it as Ola. The verses push his voice, I can hear, but he holds it well. As the repetitive 'you know what we're waiting 4' pre-chorus kicks in, the melody builds to the drop in the chorus. The upbeat chorus lends itself to remixes, and is very radio friendly. The second verse follows a similar structure to the first, and as the second chorus finishes and the bridge kicks in, it becomes a very simple contrast to the main, punchy melody, but the 'uh, hit me!' by Ola brings back the chorus in full force until the song concludes.

Overall, it sounds like something the radio would pick up, if it was pushed. Ola is notorious for letting the wind carry his name, leaving his promotion down to chance or luck, and not pushing for his songs to be on the radio. If the stations do pick this up, it will be a miracle, unless Philip Mikal has a good team of people.


So, hopefully this is a new direction by Ola, and if it is, I like it!
Although, don't get too excited, as Ola has now gone on holiday, so has taken a short break from his everyday life, which is creating music…

A photo posted by Ola (@olaofficial) on

*edit: this was a photo of Ola sitting on a railing with the caption 'Sthlm I'll miss u!'. No idea why it's been removed, but the photo had indicated that he was taking a break for a while, and perhaps going on holiday…

Let's see what develops in the near future!



Jordanavia :)

No comments :

Post a Comment