Saturday, 15 November 2014

Finally home again!

This is nothing like being on tour, I'm sure, but it's nice to not have to live out of a suitcase for a little while. Even if it has only been 2 weeks haha.

First however, because of the way my camera roll uploads to Google+, we have to first look at what happened three weeks ago…



Saw this picture on Tumblr the other day and just had to save it, because look at the last date. I live in Newcastle. Worst of all, I WORK ON HOULTS YARD. I know exactly where that is, and I had no idea about it. Obviously, I didn't know The 1975 in 2012, but the fact that they played literally 10 steps from where I work is disheartening hahaha.


Dead Charl

He missed me haha

Fashionista
I love this jumper. Got it from Boohoo and I didn't expect it to be very soft. I think I expected it to feel more like scratchy polyester but it's made from acrylic and it's well soft. I look very student-y, but that's another topic for further down this blog post…

Forgot to take a picture of these before I chipped them. It only took about an hour to ruin them haha…

And then we went to Bristol. I think I was fooled into thinking it was only 'about 3 and a half, 4 hours' to drive there. Turns out it was nearer 6.

I always enjoy going away with work. It doesn't even happen that often, but when it does it's never a chore.




Thursday afternoon was fairly low actually. After I read a tweet I really didn't want to read, and some other news, all I really wanted to do was go back to the hotel and cry. But because I was actually with some of the nicest people I know (and had also just met), the only tears I would be crying come 2am when we finished would be tears of hilarity and love (if I was that soppy). Don't ever let little things get you down. If you talk to someone about it, you'll soon realise how insignificant of a problem it is and suddenly you'll be like this hero:

Worked for me anyway…


Smartarse Google did this. I hate putting up these kind of pictures with a border and loads of 'effects' on them, but this one is actually better than the original… apart from the border.


Came back from Bristol on Friday, went to town on Saturday.

Yes, this is just a selfie with some people in the background hahaha



Fourth year in a row!
Here was last year

And the year before

And wow, the year before that too… I forgot how many we've done!


Wow, can't believe it's been three years since that last picture. So much change, so much is better! Actually, I remember this day last year, and my Snapchatting adventures with my friend in town hahaha wow I would have handled that so much better these days…


So then Sunday we were off to Manchester again. I feel like I have a second family. My work holiday family haha. If there's one thing I've taken away from all these trips, it's a heightened respect for kids living between two parent's houses. I now have clean clothes at home, as well as dirty clothes in a suitcase, and I also have clean and dirty clothes in Sunderland, and it's aways a bit of a surprise as to where I'll end up that week. Will I go into uni, stay at home, or suddenly find myself halfway round the country again?




Looked pretty :)


Next up on the camera roll is 238 pictures of what I've been informed is called the 'Earth Dance'. It's more like a video hahahaha. So very grateful for iOS8 having the burst feature, so that I don't have literally 238 individual pictures on my camera roll haha.

The only nice sunrise we saw in Manchester

I've heard of this but never tried it. It has a very acidic kick to it, but it's not toooo bad…

So… about uni…

The more I work, the more I hate uni. Almost two weeks away has done absolutely no good in making me want to stay haha. If you remember the 'Dishing the dirt on Events Management courses' blog post, you'll remember all of the things I listed that was wrong with the course. Well, second year and not much has changed. I've found that if the lecturers are promoting having a 'guest lecturer' in to give a talk on a subject, they're not likely to be industry professionals, but friends and ex-collegues of the lecturer themselves.
May I also point out that for one of our modules, we're to organise an event for an external client. Error number one, our client is the Sunderland University Students Union, so not exactly external. Secondly, they want the entire award show to be self-funded, as in, all of the budget comes from ticket sales. They're not giving us a penny towards the event. How, could I please respectfully ask, is that real-life experience? Never will I have to organise an event (full stop, hahahaha) nah, never will I have to organise an event that has no budget whatsoever. Without going into too many details, the fact that we now can't make tickets any cheaper than about £30 means zero students will turn up. What 18, 19, 20 year old wants to sit through an award show that has nothing to do with them on a Friday night, AND will have to pay £30 to go, drinks not included? The only reason I'd ever go to an award show is if I was nominated, or if I was paid to go haha. I hate it. One of my friends has just quit uni this week, and I'm ridiculously tempted to jump after him. I'll do it after Christmas, but neither my head nor my heart is in it anymore and it's not looking like it's going to change any time soon…

Here is the piece of paper that tells you that I can reference my assignments using the Harvard referencing system. My modules included Study Skills, which taught me how to take lecture notes, Research Methods, so now I can write an interview checklist and a questionnaire. Oh, and also Creativity, because university believes that creativity can be taught in a classroom.
No. Here is the piece of paper that tells you I have worked for the past few years in corporate events, learning more by being AT events than I have from any book. Here it also says that I've worked at two festivals this summer, with ambitions to work at plenty more in 2015. No, this was not organised through university at all, but by myself.

Thanks for teaching me what I don't want to do when I grow up. It's been a pleasure to spend £7800 a year on learning topics to help me write a dissertation, rather than a CV. Thanks for showing me what I could be when I leave university, which so far has included a (failed) party planner and hypothetical afternoon tea organiser.  I'm ashamed to have been a student of an Events Management course, and if only you'd spent my tuition fees on real life experience or networking opportunities, I'd maybe not even have been writing this. Cheers, Sunderland.


That got a bit deep. Didn't expect to be writing that there and then. Have a hipster selfie to balance things out:




Jordanavia :)

No comments :

Post a Comment