Wednesday, 26 October 2016

I'm 22! Now what…

Oh how I wish my life was still as fun and exciting as it was on holiday in America. Without even seemingly being aware, I had contracted the post-holiday blues. I was aware this was a thing, but had never expected it myself! It probably wasn't helped by a shiny new 40 hour full-time contract at work. 40 hours?! There's plenty I can't say about working 40 hours a week haha! How do so many people manage it!

It felt like 40 hours just being here…


Also, having a holiday in September is good for the weather in America, but it does mean coming back home to Autumn. Although yes, it is my favourite season, it is a season of cold, wet, gloomy days, coats and jeans and short days. In fact, it got so cold I had to buy myself a vest! I'm such a wet piece of spaghetti but actually, the vests I bought aren't real vests. They're bodysuits, but it means you don't get a cold middle! I've told many people this amazing fact, but none of them seem to fully understand how great this is.

Appreciate

Apart from that, yes it was my birthday. Yes I am 22. No, I don't like it either. How I wish I could go back to being 6, and start all over again. I'd actually love to know what I want to do, and I wish I hadn't have been forced into going to uni at 18, and that I had a real passion for something I could actually do. More later…

I did have a good birthday though. Mostly spent it eating if I'm honest.

Cute cake

And now for the obligatory section on cats.


Jemima, above, is 18 and we've had her since she was about 1 year old. She's always been fairly healthy, and has only ever really needed medical attention once when she broke her jaw. That actually sounds horrific in hindsight. Who knows what happened, but she couldn't meow properly and I think she had it pinned or something. I don't really know, I was 8. But recently she started losing a lot of weight, and looked unwell, so we took her to the vet for the diagnosis to be hyperthyroidism. I'm sure vets and doctors will have some sort of idea what this means, but that's basically all that's wrong with her. For her age, it's pretty good!

Bless
The baby


This cat lives near me, but for some reason he's now in my house…… I wonder why…
No, I didn't steal him. I did carry him inside though, but only to make sure he was ok. It was nice to have him wandering around for a little though. Made me think it would be nice to have my own……


We also visited the cat cafe on the Quayside too. It's called Catpawcino (cute), and I think they have 9 cats. They were pretty much all asleep when we were there, and it was very strange to eat a ham and cheese toastie without having a cat climbing all over you for a bite haha. They have a couple of really nice ones though, including a teeny tiny Scottish Fold, and a Bengal.




This is such a good show!





Northumberland Street

I hardly ever go to town now that I drive. It seems that now I have a car, the metrocentre is a lot easier to get to than town, since I used to pass through on the metro and the bus going to uni in the past. I miss it! It's full of questionable people, but there is now a new food court in Eldon Square called Grey's Quarter. I had no idea this was happening but here it is. There's a Giraffe (!), as well as the classics intu multiple occupancy deals. The Five Guys on Northumberland street gives this good view though, previously unseen since this used to be offices!


Disney on Ice. Made me miss America.




These snapchat filters are hilarious too. Love a good selfie…


And then this weekend, we went to Scotland. We've been here before in October 2014, after seeing a picture of the place in a National Geographic magazine. It's always so pretty in Autumn, and I absolutely love the colour the trees go at this time of year. I didn't take my DSLR this year, since when I switched it on, it had no battery left, and my others and charger were still at home. Slightly annoying, but I did get some polaroids too.

Looks Biblical…





Shame about the weather that weekend. It would have been much prettier if the sun had shone. Nevertheless it's still pretty amazing.

I think these power station buildings are really interesting too. They're literally just houses for electrical exchanges and hydroelectric machinery but I think they're really cool.






I prefer the totally made up story I was told, that they were built upon the land of rich landowners, who didn't want eyesores on their property. So they made these buildings really ornate so as not to detract from the natural beauty of its surroundings. It's a blatant lie and I've no idea where I heard it but I totally prefer it hahaha.


Trooper


But I know you're still asking, what's wrong? Why do I wish I was still 6? Well, if you have a spare lifetime, you may read below.

When every student in the UK is 15, they have to chose their GCSE subjects (or at least they used to back in my day). This was a pretty simple choice, as you basically dropped the subject you hated most. I think I dropped Geography and History in favour of French and German, Music instead of Art, PE or Drama, as well as taking 3 sciences because I was deemed 'clever enough not to'. Pretty much every other subject was compulsory, including RE, Technology, English & Maths, IT etc, which meant I ended up with 13 GCSE's I think.
16 year old Jordan SHOULD have picked Art for GCSE. I probably wasn't so good at fine art, but ever since have wanted to do something creative. Any type of creative course at university usually calls for a portfolio. Something I was never told, and something I've never had.


However, after this, you're asked to then chose A levels, based on your GCSE results. This is a much more difficult choice, since you can only choose 3 or 4, and they must be subjects you got a B or higher in for GCSE. I must state, that these were my school's rules, not necessarily the done thing everywhere else.

17 year old Jordan SHOULD have picked Physics for A level, since I kind of wanted to be a pilot at that age. I got an A in GCSE, so there would be no problem. Wrong. I picked English Language, Business and German. An eclectic mix that I had no idea what I was going to do with in the future. I had no idea at that age that Physics was a prerequisite for a pilot's degree.
Most people struggle with A levels, and they really are the hardest exams you will do. I got BBC in my A levels, but it was enough to gain a place at university, doing, of all things, events management. Why?
We had personal tutors in sixth form. They were a member of staff you were usually taught by, who would help guide you through your personal statement and UCAS application, as well as helping those (like me) who had no idea what to do at uni, pick something they would like. My school treat this like an expensive sweet shop. 'Pick the one you'd like' but you were only allowed one sweet. 'You're only 17 years old but if you don't find a suitable university course to move onto, what was the point of doing A levels, since now uni is your only option.' That was my option. University or failure. That is what school made you think. I panicked that I wouldn't be able to pick one before the January deadline, and I flitted between the most random courses like events management, social work, bloody Egyptology for goodness sake. Never really settling on one I was totally pleased with. In the end, it was Events Management that won the eenie meenie miney mo and I gladly stayed local, going to Sunderland University.

I hate it. But I was there now. The course was mashed together, as I'm sure I've mentioned, and I even had a meeting at Christmas time in second year to say that I no longer wanted to continue with the course. The numbers swayed me, in that I had already done two thirds of the course, I might as well stay the last third. How wrong! Please, if you're really not enjoying your course, do not finish it! Here's what's happened now:

Yes, I always want to do something different to what I'm actually doing. There were many other courses that appealed to me whilst at uni, but I never thought I was able to transfer. However, last year, Disney World happened. My eyes were opened to this magical world of 'theming', and the ways in which everything was themed to the story. So much craft and thought had gone into the creation of basically everything, and it was amazing. Then again this year, both Disneyland and Disney World showed me further that there were actual jobs out there that created all of these props and sets. The cobwebby books on the shelves in the Tower of Terror queue line, the artefacts in the Matterhorn Bobsled queue line, the paving and even the railings in the different lands, and the way they were themed to the story. This is someones job, and I want it!
I think back to my time in a language classroom in year 12, thinking, perhaps Egyptology is the one for me. I set myself a rule, that I was not allowed to act on anything this massive unless I wanted it for a whole year. Except I've since gone back, and it's still what I want to do. So surely this one is for real?
I researched other university courses that do something similar, and found Scenic Arts degrees at places like Central and Rose Bruford, that are for the creation of props used in theatre. Is this the way in? I did some more research, and found that I unfortunately cannot go back to university, financially. Here's why…

Once you have graduated from the course, and subsequently have an undergraduate degree in that subject, that is you done for undergraduate courses. By all means you are allowed to go back to pursue a masters or PhD, as student finance will give you the funding for this. However, to do another undergraduate degree, you are essentially not progressing in academic terms, becoming what the education world call an ELQ (Equivalent level qualification), and therefore no longer eligible for SLC funding. I'd have to find the £27000 tuition fee myself, as well as fund my living costs myself too. It's simply impossible without winning the lottery. On top of this, the university reserve the right to charge a higher tuition fee (higher than £9000) because they no longer receive funding for me being at the uni either. Therefore, there's the chance I have to fund my own place, and this could be anything up to £16000 per year (based on an international student's fees).
So, back to square one. I have to find a different way into this industry, and it's proving difficult!
Oh, and even if I did apply to these universities, they want a portfolio. Ah…



Jordanavia :)

No comments :

Post a Comment