Wow, people enjoy reading about my misfortune, it appears. That last blog post with a negative title did better than expected… well guess what guys, there's some more negativity heading your way!
HMV? What happened there? I think we all knew it would happen, since they've been in the news since before last year. I read a case study, in my business textbook I do believe, which sounds identical to Jessops. May I just point out at this moment, that Trevor Moore was the chief of Jessops until August 2012, when he obviously dug a hole too big to jump out of, and so switched to the CEO of HMV. Guys, it's not the businesses that are failing, it's the incapabilities of Trevor Moore!
Anyway, HMV did a few store revamps that tried to draw people in, by creating a more modern feel, with places people could play games and 'chill out' almost. I think their flagship got massively refurbished and they had plans to roll out the new layout to all of their stores… eventually. Well… that didn't work. Sad times…
And I bet £10 on myself that Blockbusters would be the next business to fail THE DAY BEFORE they went into administration. I always felt like that store was stuck in the 80's… How could a video store, essentially, survive in times when specialist shops are failing?
I have an unhealthy emotional attachment to Jessops, and I actually have no idea why. It's not as if I can't buy the stuff online or visit other stores for my retail therapy. Sure it's sad for the staff, they'll find another job. I doubt the greater proportion of the redundant staff would have been working there for the last 30 years, and it's not even as if I own or have any dealings in the company whatsoever, so I'm not any worse off by any shops closing at all, including HMV and Blockbusters. But you know when you just want to stand somewhere, because you like to stand there? This is sounding really weird now. But imagine if your house burnt down, you'd actually long to just stand in your kitchen or your bedroom just one more time, just to be around the stuff in your house.
Anyway… in our useless Thursday afternoon when we have like, 4 hours to fill, I had a wonderful idea. Jessops and Jordans have the same number of letters, and they both start with a J. So we sat with a bunch of highlighters and made a beautiful prototype logo…
Actually, I think I've figured out why I like it so much… it's the colours. I love rainbows, and stick anything colourful infront of me and chances are I'll love it. It's the black and the colours… too passionate…
So anyway, since that took like 30 minutes, we still had 3 hours to fill… so we hit the computer.
Word actually turned out to be a decent photoshop replacement, and so my new logo was designed on Word. Classy…
Our common room computers only had like, 10 fonts on though, so we were stuck for a strapline font… and this was actually the only curly font there was. I'm probably going to get sued for this. How much is their logo worth now? I'll buy it…
And ok, so I don't know exactly how this materialised, but people seemed quite impressed (for once), and since I was on the brink of tears due to the sheer beauty of my new logos, I decided to sign them. Also, photography forever really does make me want to cry. It's just so beautiful with the alliteration and the catchiness…
I was busy practicing my autograph when my friend called over to me from the other table:
Friend: Jordan? Jordan!
Me: Sorry Robyn, I can't hear you over the sound of being famous…
I sacked her before she even started working…
But aside from that… it snowed. It snowed then it went to -7°c. And now it's always cold. But look at this shockingly bad photo I took of a really nice sunset.
I was in a moving car… I deserve some credit.
And I also caught the funniest music video ever on TV the other day… he's so little there! Imagine if he grew his hair that long again hahaha.
Oh!! And right, get this. I got my English language exam back today for the language change part, and in part of my answer I wrote: 'This piece also features random capitalisation of certain nouns considered important at the time. This may be due to a Germanic language influence, as every noun is capitalised in German'. To which my teacher drew an arrow to the German comment and wrote on the sheet, 'are you sure you don't mean only proper nouns? I've never heard of this before!' Well EXCUSE ME! I'm sorry, who has been studying German for the last SIX years of their life? Oh wait, I forgot you don't give a crap about my life or even my work. I actually have never had a worse teacher than her, and I hate her. She's trying to tell me that I'm wrong about 1 of only 3 subjects I do at school? I'm not going to dish the dirt on her here and now, but believe me, I'm pulling myself through these exams, no thanks to her.
I'm also hoping that I can get away with doing as little work as possible in German before my teacher goes on maternity leave, so that I can get as many overdue pieces of work written off before we get the new teacher hahahahaha. I'm so sneaky…
Jordanavia :)
HMV? What happened there? I think we all knew it would happen, since they've been in the news since before last year. I read a case study, in my business textbook I do believe, which sounds identical to Jessops. May I just point out at this moment, that Trevor Moore was the chief of Jessops until August 2012, when he obviously dug a hole too big to jump out of, and so switched to the CEO of HMV. Guys, it's not the businesses that are failing, it's the incapabilities of Trevor Moore!
Anyway, HMV did a few store revamps that tried to draw people in, by creating a more modern feel, with places people could play games and 'chill out' almost. I think their flagship got massively refurbished and they had plans to roll out the new layout to all of their stores… eventually. Well… that didn't work. Sad times…
And I bet £10 on myself that Blockbusters would be the next business to fail THE DAY BEFORE they went into administration. I always felt like that store was stuck in the 80's… How could a video store, essentially, survive in times when specialist shops are failing?
I have an unhealthy emotional attachment to Jessops, and I actually have no idea why. It's not as if I can't buy the stuff online or visit other stores for my retail therapy. Sure it's sad for the staff, they'll find another job. I doubt the greater proportion of the redundant staff would have been working there for the last 30 years, and it's not even as if I own or have any dealings in the company whatsoever, so I'm not any worse off by any shops closing at all, including HMV and Blockbusters. But you know when you just want to stand somewhere, because you like to stand there? This is sounding really weird now. But imagine if your house burnt down, you'd actually long to just stand in your kitchen or your bedroom just one more time, just to be around the stuff in your house.
Anyway… in our useless Thursday afternoon when we have like, 4 hours to fill, I had a wonderful idea. Jessops and Jordans have the same number of letters, and they both start with a J. So we sat with a bunch of highlighters and made a beautiful prototype logo…
Actually, I think I've figured out why I like it so much… it's the colours. I love rainbows, and stick anything colourful infront of me and chances are I'll love it. It's the black and the colours… too passionate…
So anyway, since that took like 30 minutes, we still had 3 hours to fill… so we hit the computer.
Word actually turned out to be a decent photoshop replacement, and so my new logo was designed on Word. Classy…
Our common room computers only had like, 10 fonts on though, so we were stuck for a strapline font… and this was actually the only curly font there was. I'm probably going to get sued for this. How much is their logo worth now? I'll buy it…
And ok, so I don't know exactly how this materialised, but people seemed quite impressed (for once), and since I was on the brink of tears due to the sheer beauty of my new logos, I decided to sign them. Also, photography forever really does make me want to cry. It's just so beautiful with the alliteration and the catchiness…
I was busy practicing my autograph when my friend called over to me from the other table:
Friend: Jordan? Jordan!
Me: Sorry Robyn, I can't hear you over the sound of being famous…
I sacked her before she even started working…
But aside from that… it snowed. It snowed then it went to -7°c. And now it's always cold. But look at this shockingly bad photo I took of a really nice sunset.
I was in a moving car… I deserve some credit.
![]() |
| Instagramming my face… not something I like doing hahaha. Still, it got all the likes… |
Oh!! And right, get this. I got my English language exam back today for the language change part, and in part of my answer I wrote: 'This piece also features random capitalisation of certain nouns considered important at the time. This may be due to a Germanic language influence, as every noun is capitalised in German'. To which my teacher drew an arrow to the German comment and wrote on the sheet, 'are you sure you don't mean only proper nouns? I've never heard of this before!' Well EXCUSE ME! I'm sorry, who has been studying German for the last SIX years of their life? Oh wait, I forgot you don't give a crap about my life or even my work. I actually have never had a worse teacher than her, and I hate her. She's trying to tell me that I'm wrong about 1 of only 3 subjects I do at school? I'm not going to dish the dirt on her here and now, but believe me, I'm pulling myself through these exams, no thanks to her.
I'm also hoping that I can get away with doing as little work as possible in German before my teacher goes on maternity leave, so that I can get as many overdue pieces of work written off before we get the new teacher hahahahaha. I'm so sneaky…
Jordanavia :)

No comments :
Post a Comment