Long-legged Italy kicked poor Sicily - and this is not just geographically true…
I've just been on holiday to Sicily for a week, in a tiny weeny little place on the north coast called Campofelice di Roccella. It was an experience, to say the least.
We practically always stay self-catering these days, because going to the hotel restaurant in long trousers to eat the warm salad doesn't suit my family (I don't blame them). But on the first night we went to a local pizzaria ristorante, and may I just point out at this moment that I know like, 3 words of Italian. Let me also just point out that the waiters in this pizzaria ristorante also spoke about 3 words of English between them, and our menus were all in Italian. This was because where we were staying was not a tourist area, and I only heard one other American family speak English the entire time I was away. To make things just very slightly worse, it seems no Sicilians speak English. Is this arrogance on our part or their part? Should we be able to speak Italian, or should they be able to speak English? Or even German / French? Perhaps if we could find a common language that neither perhaps knew fluently, we could have got by.
But this language and culutural barrier was clearly demonstrated on the first night, when my dad managed to order a plate of sliced mushrooms for his main course. How, we have no idea, because it was meant to be risotto…
All throughout the holiday it was a bit of a struggle to work out words, and the ways of doing things, because the menu layout situation is a whole other story…
But apart from that, it was nice and hot (too hot for me, really, but…) and we went to Mount Etna, which is an active volcano. Unfortunately the day we went up it was having a strop, and the weather was foggy, cold and thundering and lightning(ing?). And because it was such dangerous weather, we decided to go up the mountain even futher in a cable car! Excellent idea, parentals. The cable kept stopping violently because of the weather, sending the little cars rocking in mid-air, and it was awesome.
The sunsets are nice over there… especially because the sun sets over the sea :)
So yeah, Sicily is alright, I guess. It all looks a bit downtrodden and tired, and I guess relatively it's quite poor. Food is cheap and the houses are nothing spectacular. And aside from the crazy Italian drivers and the fact that the mafia does still have a significant amount of power in Sicily, it's an alright place to visit.
Team Ola is also back… It was never gone, but I have a new plan to salvage it, and hopefully give Ola a lot more recognition. It's hard, because the street teams don't get any promotional material to give out, so we have to just work all online. Sooooo… if you're from the UK and like this:
This:
Or even this:
I've just been on holiday to Sicily for a week, in a tiny weeny little place on the north coast called Campofelice di Roccella. It was an experience, to say the least.
We practically always stay self-catering these days, because going to the hotel restaurant in long trousers to eat the warm salad doesn't suit my family (I don't blame them). But on the first night we went to a local pizzaria ristorante, and may I just point out at this moment that I know like, 3 words of Italian. Let me also just point out that the waiters in this pizzaria ristorante also spoke about 3 words of English between them, and our menus were all in Italian. This was because where we were staying was not a tourist area, and I only heard one other American family speak English the entire time I was away. To make things just very slightly worse, it seems no Sicilians speak English. Is this arrogance on our part or their part? Should we be able to speak Italian, or should they be able to speak English? Or even German / French? Perhaps if we could find a common language that neither perhaps knew fluently, we could have got by.
But this language and culutural barrier was clearly demonstrated on the first night, when my dad managed to order a plate of sliced mushrooms for his main course. How, we have no idea, because it was meant to be risotto…
All throughout the holiday it was a bit of a struggle to work out words, and the ways of doing things, because the menu layout situation is a whole other story…
But apart from that, it was nice and hot (too hot for me, really, but…) and we went to Mount Etna, which is an active volcano. Unfortunately the day we went up it was having a strop, and the weather was foggy, cold and thundering and lightning(ing?). And because it was such dangerous weather, we decided to go up the mountain even futher in a cable car! Excellent idea, parentals. The cable kept stopping violently because of the weather, sending the little cars rocking in mid-air, and it was awesome.
| The heavens opened |
| I found this top for £3 in H&M… it was the last one, but I don't know why people would buy it… It says hej då, but how many people who buy that top are going to know that it means goodbye?! |
| We found a funfair hahaha |
| Panorama… look a the man's legs… |
| Got this and thought of Kim… :') |
| We found hoop-shaped pasta… THIS IS THE STUFF THEY MAKE SPAGETTI HOOPS FROM!!! But we made bolognese hoops instead haha |
![]() |
| Bahahaha |
The sunsets are nice over there… especially because the sun sets over the sea :)
![]() |
| My dad hahahaha |
![]() |
| A fisherman |
| Chips on a pizza? |
So yeah, Sicily is alright, I guess. It all looks a bit downtrodden and tired, and I guess relatively it's quite poor. Food is cheap and the houses are nothing spectacular. And aside from the crazy Italian drivers and the fact that the mafia does still have a significant amount of power in Sicily, it's an alright place to visit.
Team Ola is also back… It was never gone, but I have a new plan to salvage it, and hopefully give Ola a lot more recognition. It's hard, because the street teams don't get any promotional material to give out, so we have to just work all online. Sooooo… if you're from the UK and like this:
This:
Or even this:
Jordanavia :)






No comments :
Post a Comment