Saturday, 16 April 2016

London, Books & Smoothies

Figured I have a few hours spare so I can do another of these.

A couple of weekends ago we took a trip to London, which to many doesn't sound like such a feat, but we live 300 miles north, and London is practically another country.

We firstly visited the ArcelorMittal Orbit, which is the huge red metal structure in the Olympic park. It looks to me like it should be a roller coaster, and I'm sure many other people think the same! However, you do get some very good views from the top…





Excuse the chicken wire hahaha


You are very high up, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it if you have any aversion to heights whatsoever. There were people who made it up the lift, but refused to step outside, and tried to stay as in the middle as they could, which seemed like a bit of a waste to me. If you've walked up to it, and gone up several hundred metres in a lift, you can expect it to be fairly high and windy.

They're actually building the highest slide in the world in the structure, so instead of going back down in the lift, you slide 178 metres at 15 mph to the bottom instead. Sounds. amazing. It's finished this year, and so if we go back to London we can go on for free with our passes :)

After that, we had a very edgy tour of Shoreditch and its street art. With a company called Alternative London, a very street Glaswegian gave us a walking tour of art by the likes of Jonesy, Roa and Schade. When you think of street art, you think of Banksy. But no, Banksy was too mainstream for this guy, and we didn't see a single piece by the most famous street artist.





This last picture is a bit rubbish because I was too close to the building in the foreground, but I was trying to show how close the London 'village' is to the city's skyscrapers. They're literally a street apart. This street we were on wouldn't be out of place in the English countryside, yet it backed straight onto the likes of the Gherkin and the banking quarter. It just didn't seem real.

And then we were onto the evening's entertainment, The Book of Mormon.

There wasn't a bad seat in the entire theatre, and you were so close to the stage with no restrictions from other people's heads.
The musical though is fantastic, and I really recommend anyone go see it. It is rude, and probably not something your grandma (or mormon) would enjoy. I think it's one of the best I've seen though, up there with Matilda. It's absolutely not what I expected, because I didn't think it would be funny, but I actually laughed all the way through it.


 I've never walked across Tower Bridge before, so that was nice.




We had lunch in a nice pub, before I forgot my card under my plate because I would seem I have no object permanence hahahaha.


And then it was time for musical 2, Wonder.land.



This was a strange musical. It was very Alice in Wonderland (obviously) but set in modern day, and in South London. It was mainly about the coming of age in the modern day, with technology and social media. Would I recommend it? I'm not sure…


Merlin HQ

In between all this, we also went to Westfield Stratford, which is the most amazing shopping centre. It was enormous, and had everything and more. I just had to mention that hahaha. (Although they're very unfriendly when you want information out of them for your dissertation topic haha)



This is awful hahaha


For the day, I was living on a film set. These guys weren't really digging up the road, they were filming for a TV show or a film. The van 'knocked them over' and they had a whole restaurant scene set up around the corner. If anyone sees anything that might look like this on TV, please let me know, I'd love to see it!


Told you he likes football


We took a trip to Five Guys. It was nice, but I still prefer Byron. There wasn't anything special about Five Guys, I don't think. It was unbelievably busy. I was chatting to the guy serving me and even he said the whole team couldn't believe how busy it was. Apparently they reckon it's the busiest in the world right now, which I can definitely see!
Afterwards though we went to see 10 Cloverfield Lane, which was a fairly unexciting film. I have to say I didn't watch half of it because I was too scared of getting scared hahaha. It was all very believable, until the aliens arrived. The story lines were also left unfinished, which didn't 'leave you wondering' it left you unfulfilled and as though you missed the part it was explained.

An unsuccessful take…
Look how contoured my nose looks haha, I don't do it deliberately.

A Wagamamas pad thai takeout :D :D



And looooook! I finished my dissertation!! I have been working on this since practically October, and it's such a relief to have it finished. After all the stress of doing the research, and not getting the responses I was promised, and getting my draft in for February, it's thankfully no more. I guess I get my results back in about 4 or 5 weeks, and I don't even think I want to know really, it's just an achievement in itself to get it handed in.
Although, it was bitter sweet to hand it in, because truthfully I did enjoy doing it, since it was all about theme parks. Definitely got me excited for the summer and of all the theme parks I'll be visiting!

Next up though, a presentation and two more assignments! Only then will I be completely done with uni.




This made me laugh, because this bin was really full, and then the next day it was all over the ground. Now normally I would have been like 'bloody kids / tramps, rooting through a bin and spilling it all over the floor.' But no, I remembered back to my time at Eurovision in Sweden when this happened:
Have to admit I thought it was a much better picture than this…

But the culprit wasn't human, but it was a bird looking for whatever it could smell. And sure enough, if you look on the left of the bin, there is a rook with its nose in the bin pulling out all of the cardboard so it could find some food hahaha. I knew it was a bird, but think of all the people who don't, thinking some urchin has deliberately littered everywhere, when in fact it was just a bird hahaha.


In other exciting news, I have published a book!
Everyone remember Bingo the Dingo? I wrote that book back in 2013 and always wanted to push it further than just the homework task it was for. It wasn't until last week did I realise that you can self-publish books. I didn't even know this was a thing, and so I looked it up.
Now, I own a real life ISBN number and my book is available to purchase as a paperback, and also, get this, on your Kindle.
I can't get the Amazon link to work yet, but if you want one, they're available at this link:
https://www.createspace.com/6204248

Or here on Kindle:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bingo-Dingo-Jordan-Crerar-ebook/dp/B01E7XNVWO?ie=UTF8&keywords=bingo%20the%20dingo&qid=1460826035&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1





This is a new thing I have gotten into, plant-based smoothies. Or plant-based cooking in general. I just find them so wholesome. The first picture has a banana, around 10 strawberries and a plant-based yoghurt in it. That means, everything in the smoothie is purely natural. The second is a little more adventurous, yet still mainly plant-based, with a banana, plant-based yoghurt, peanut butter, cocoa powder and wheatgerm. I'd actually recommend putting almond / soy / rice / coconut milk in as well as the yoghurt, since the peanut butter makes it very thick. Yet everything that goes in these smoothies is good for you and does not contain anything processed. The top one is also 100% vegan, as well as dairy, gluten and wheat free, and the bottom is vegan too, but contains glutens in the wheatgerm. The benefits of wheatgerm though, outweigh the fact it contains gluten, for me.
I remember making 'breakfast smoothies' at home with my mam and brother when we were little that had wheatgerm in them, and it seemed so novel at the time, that this wheat-y stuff was going into a smoothie, and it still tasted great. Morrisons are the only supermarket to sell wheatgerm, as far as I know (apart from Waitrose), although you'll probably be able to get it in health stores.


I sit here writing this in the freezing cold without having taken a shower, since our boiler has broken and needs a new part. It's soooo cold! And I'm not looking forward to taking a shower…waaahhh
I need to though, because we're moving, and going sofa shopping in the morning. I don't think they'd like dirty me sitting on their sofas!


Jordanavia :)


No comments :

Post a Comment